"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them…” - Acts 20:29-30.
It is with sadness, careful consideration, and humility that we write that Brian Gemmell has adopted a serious and fundamental error and poses such a danger to the people of God.
In his DVD, "Order, Order, Order!", Brian teaches that Christ will return ten days before the catching away of believers in the same human form in which He appeared after His resurrection and before His ascension. Brian Gemmell teaches that the ‘dead in Christ’ will be raised after the same manner as those saints in Matthew 27:52-53, appearing to many for a specific purpose for 10 days before His catching away of the bride into the air and home to Heaven. During this time, those Christians and Christians still alive at Christ’s return will be able to settle accounts between one another. Despite efforts from his friends, Brian has not withdrawn his position or publically corrected his doctrine, which he continues to promote through “Order, Order, Order” which is still for sale over the internet (http://prophecybeyond.ning.com/profile/BrianGemmell). We attach a transcript from the DVD here. Therefore, we feel obliged to issue a public warning.
The error is fundamental for the following reasons:
1. Christ explicitly warns against such a doctrine because it will lead to people receiving false Christs. “For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets….Wherefore if they shall tell you, behold He is in the desert: go not forth; behold He is in the secret chambers; believe it not” - Matt. 24:24 and 26. Rather Christ says of His coming, “For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shines even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be.” The only people who will come in the manner Brian describes will be false Christs. If we accept the doctrine of the 10 Day Rapture we are laid wide open to receive a “false christ”.
2. It is wrong to suggest that Christ will once again come in His pre-glorified body. When He comes, every eye will see Him, and every knee will bow. He will never again return to His pre-glorified state.
3. If a person accepts this doctrine, they might be caused to think in their heart that there will be an opportunity to deal with sin after their death. This has the same effect as the false Roman Catholic doctrine of purgatory.
4. This theory destroys the doctrine of imminence by inventing a count-down to the rapture during the 10 day period (see Matthew 24:31-36); and
5. Brian Gemmell introduces a works based doctrine of salvation by teaching that the church will be able to make herself ready during the 10 day period.
Therefore, we call upon Brian Gemmell publically to repent of his false teaching and withdraw from public ministry until he is able to demonstrate that he has returned to sound doctrine. In the meantimeBrian Gemmell should be given no public teaching platform.
Philip L. Powell (CWM Ministries);
Roger Winter-Smith (Minister at Stroud Green Christian Assembly);
Mark Mullins (Minister at The Strangers Rest Mission Evangelical Church); and
Philip Bray (Elder at Stroud Green Christian Assembly).